[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised Problem Statement and Policy Text

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Sep 13 16:41:42 EDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM, John Santos <JOHN at egh.com> wrote:
> What if the business is international, with sites all over the world?
> Should they be forced to run at least 5 separate networks instead of a
> single integrated network?

Hi John,

That's a fair question. I hope I don't mischaracterize the ITU's
position when I say they think a strictly regionalized registry system
is detrimental to business in exactly this manner.  They would have
themselves designated as a registry with worldwide scope in order to
serve these interests among others.

I'd offer this answer: if we want to continue as a system of regional
registries then it's generally appropriate for a multinational
organization get acquire the number resources it deploys in each
region from that region's registry. One network. Five suppliers, whose
goods have geographical constraints on their use.

If a system of regional registries is no longer indicated, that's a
much bigger topic of discussion which we shouldn't back-door by having
ARIN unilaterally act as registry to the world.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004