[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Oct 9 04:17:34 EDT 2013

On Oct 9, 2013, at 12:33 AM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that we must "consider virtual equipment (e.g. VM's) as actual technical infrastructure". The actual businesses that are being built on the Internet appear to have outpaced policy here.
>
> If I host a large computing cloud or storage cloud, I really need to be able to get additional address space as that cloud grows. There may be no addresses that are "assigned to a specific customer" or even a "pool of addresses that are used by specific customers" in the traditional ISP sense. In fact, I might consider myself an end-user of IP space, not an ISP, and be attempting to get address space as an end-user. And the growth of the exposed IP surface of that cloud may or may not be a linear function of the physical resources I throw at it. In fact, as the physical resources get more powerful, I would expect not.

Congrats, you're an end-user.  You get an address block, and
when its used, you ask for more and we verify the usage of the
prior block.  The fact that many, many IPs are assigned to a
handful of devices doesn't matter, as long as they are utilized.

This is per the NRPM 4.3.6 end-user policies, and works quite
well today with ARIN performing verification across if wide
variety of technologies, including addresses deployed into
virtual infrastructure.  Under the end-user policies, this is
quite possible, but we're quite likely to ask for additional
information in order correlate your recent growth which other
metrics.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran