[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Oct 8 13:15:37 EDT 2013

On Oct 8, 2013, at 9:26 AM, Frank Bulk <frnkblk at iname.com>
wrote:

> John,
>
> What if Acme Hosting, Inc., located in the Silicon Valley, found a niche
> offering virtualized servers for Asian customers who want to have their
> Internet-based services hosted more closely to the North American market.
>
> Acme Hosting and their infrastructure are clearly in the U.S., but their
> customers are not in the ARIN region.

Their physical infrastructure would only qualify for modest address space
in accordance with policy, and this would not change with the addition of
virtualized servers on existing equipment.

> Does the policy, as currently written, preclude Acme Hosting from requesting
> more address space as their Asian customer base grows?

Under current policy, they may request additional addresses as their customers
grow.  Under the current revised policy text, we would not consider their
customers who are not in region.  This side effect (hosting companies not being
able to consider customers who are out of region) may or may not be desirable,
but is understandable given the additional of customer region as criteria.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO