[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 100, Issue 2

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sun Oct 6 18:33:48 EDT 2013

Frank,

On Oct 5, 2013, at 9:42 PM, Frank Bulk <frnkblk at iname.com> wrote:
> If 2013-6 were passed then those who might abuse ARIN’s policies for nefarious means might use other RIRs, possibly (likely?) less cooperative in sharing ownership information than ARIN, which is HQ’ed in the U.S.

My understanding is that the reason this issue has been raised (at least from ARIN staff's perspective) is that folks from the AP region are obtaining address space from ARIN because it was easier than obtaining the addresses from LACNIC/AfriNIC. My impression is that the real value in this policy proposal is to level the playing field, that is, to make the level of difficulty in obtaining out-of-region address space that same across all the RIRs that still have space.

> Honestly, I don’t see how 2013-6 aids U.S. LEA in tracking down or taking down the bad guys.

LEA folks seem to feel otherwise.  It's unfortunate that the current stupidity in DC is preventing Terri or others from explaining why (and I don't have sufficient information to argue one way or the other).

However, I believe the primary point of the policy is to give ARIN staff official backing to revoke address space when they notice/are notified that the address space is being used out of region. The interests of LEA (and anti-spam/anti-phishing/etc. folks IIUC) are a bit orthogonal, even if it was LEA interests that generated the policy proposal (this time).

Regards,
-drc