[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Oct 6 18:22:54 EDT 2013

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Oct 6, 2013, at 8:31 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> You stated that the reported message (demanding certification that the
>> infrastructure be in-region) was part of ARIN's procedures throughout
>> the time period in which the 52 requests were honored.
>
> ARIN's current procedures have requesters "verify that you will be using
> the requested number resources within the ARIN region and announcing all
> routing prefixes of the requested space from within the ARIN region."
>
> All 52 requesters verified the above. There is frequently discussion of
> the term "use in region" (just as raised in Frank Bulk's email).  As noted
> in the policy experience report, the "use" of the addresses within ARIN
> region is often accomplished via nominal hosted infrastructure within the
> ARIN region

Hi John,

There is a subtlety here that is escaping me. If the addresses are
assigned to hosted infrastructure within the region then how are they
not used within the region? What aspect of the draft policy would
change that evaluation?

If the addresses aren't assigned to hosted infrastructure within the
region then how are they "used" within the region? It seems to me that
one would have to pull a Clinton on the word "used" ("It depends on
what the meaning of the word 'is' is.") before addresses assigned to
equipment elsewhere would be considered used within the region.

>  See pages 9 through 14 of the referenced ARIN 31 Policy
> Implementation and Experience Report for details

"Should we continue with current practice or should we
make decisions based on where the customers and the
equipment serving those customers are located?"

An IP address has a physical location: it matches the equipment which
identifies itself using that IP address. Within the caveat that
subnets are used on layer-2 networks and a long-haul layer-2 network
may span two regions, is this not the current practice? It just
doesn't seem like a concept that's open to a terribly broad set of
interpretations.

As for making the decision based on where the customers are located,
that would strike me as untenable. A web server is at a specific
location but a web site has customers which span the world.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004