[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Sat Oct 5 16:38:45 EDT 2013

On 10/4/13 14:55 , John Curran wrote:
> Gary -
>
> Since June 2013, there have been 52 requests that would not have
> been approved under the new policy because these organizations
> had only some equipment in a data center in the ARIN region, but
> either all or most of their technical infrastructure outside of the region
> and most or all of their customers outside of the ARIN region.
>
> Total amount of space issued to these 52 organizations:   9,672 /24s,
> (which is a bit more than a /11 in total) and nearly all organizations were based in the APNIC region.

John,

Thank you for the interesting stats, also thanks to Gary for asking the
enlightening question.  I assume this is using the "plurality" standard
of the current language of 2013-6.  However, there have been a number of
concerns raised regarding the "plurality" standard, including comments
in the staff and legal review.

So, would a "20% minimum" standard be equally effective for the cases
outlined above?  For simplicity let's assume, assume "20% minimum", is
substituted for "plurality", as the only change.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952