[arin-ppml] Bootstrapping new entrants after IPv4 exhaustion

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 14:40:03 EST 2013

> On Nov 25, 2013, at 11:11 AM, David Huberman <David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Scott Leibrand wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure that it would be a good idea, though, to let
>> any organization, not matter how small, get an IPv4 /24
>> from ARIN's free pool without any real restrictions.
>
> Can you please provide a technical argument for why one organization should receive a /24
> from ARIN, but another organization should not?  In your response, please explain
> why the internet operates better when an end-user (whatever that means) can get a /24,
> but an ISP cannot.

That wasn't the distinction I was referring to. I am saying that I'm not sure we want to let an org (regardless of type) who only needs a /28 get a /24 from ARIN.

In addition to keeping that minimum level of needs justification, the only technical distinction I would retain in my proposed liberalization would be that multihomed orgs should be able to get blocks as small as a /24 from ARIN (as they'll be going into BGP regardless) whereas single-homed orgs should still go to their upstream for up to a /22. Again, no distinction between end-user and ISP orgs.

I'd also welcome your input on the proposed text.

-Scott