[arin-ppml] Bootstrapping new entrants after IPv4 exhaustion

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Mon Nov 25 10:51:33 EST 2013

Serge  Paquin <serge at skycomp.ca> wrote:
    > I agree in principal, but that means new entrants can't really conduct
    > business because ipv6 visibility isn't to a level that your connection
    > is actually useful if you were only ipv6.

I disagree strongly.
You'd need to tell me specifically what the business plan of the new entrant
is, but I think that if you think IPv6 first, many things are possible.

    > Refusing ipv4 to a new entrant makes it basically impossible to start a
    > new ISP/Hosting company business.  Will make existing orgs not want to
    > roll out ipv6 as fast so as to somewhat block new entrants and
    > competition.  At least that's how I see it.

They are doing that right now in a large variety of ways (and we live under
the same duopoly, fat with IPv4 and no visible IPv6 deployment to the edges)

Not having IPv4 space is not the only way the screw new entrants.