[arin-ppml] Bootstrapping new entrants after IPv4 exhaustion

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Nov 22 21:06:53 EST 2013

On Nov 22, 2013, at 5:05 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suppose I should provide some explanation for my various changes, too:
>
> To address Randy's point that "the requirement of having space before you can get space seems a little ridiculous", I updated the requirement for single-homed ISPs to efficiently utilize space from upstream(s) that "total at least half the size of the block being requested", which is in line what we already require from multihomed ISPs.
>
> Per the original suggestion that most people seem to like, I changed the minimum allocation sizes to /22 for single-homed and /24 for multihomed orgs (both ISPs and end-users).
>
> To address Owen's point about "allowing ARIN to issue down to /24 to single-homed organizations that can document their inability to get space from their upstream provider", I also included language that "If the [org] demonstrates that it cannot obtain sufficient IPv4 space from an upstream ISP, it can instead receive a /24 or larger via 8.3 transfer to the extent it can demonstrate an immediate need for the space."  I didn't go quite as far as Owen suggested in allowing orgs that only need a /28 to get a /24 if they can't get the /28 from their upstream.

Given that the minimum you can transfer is a /24, I really think that allowing anyone to get a minimum assignment through the transfer process is necessary.

> I consolidated the single-homed and multi-homed ISP requirements into a single set (differing only in minimum allocation size), and threaded the needle on the multihomed "Renumber and return" requirement by making it a "should" in both cases.
>
> I struck the reference to the now-deprecated RFC 2050.  IMO if there are any requirements from it we still want enforced, we should put them in policy.

I believe that effort is underway in policy that was on the agenda for yesterdays AC call. I will refrain from prematurely publishing the outcome of that discussion here.

Owen