[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu May 30 14:21:09 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> RFC-2050 3.1 says:
>>
>> "IP addresses are valid as long as the criteria continues to be met."
>>

>> One might construe this statement to directly invalidate existing legacy
>> allocations which would now be in ARIN's policy through this policy.  Others
>
> Whether one construes it that way or not, the reality is that said statement
> has always applied to resource allocations/assignments even back when it was
> just kept in Jon Postel's notebook.
>
> As such, I support preserving that statement in the ARIN policy proposal.

Hi Owen,

I construe the NRPM (including any changes we might make to it) to
apply to resources under an RSA and requests for ARIN action which
would require the resources to first come under RSA. Should ARIN
construe things differently, they're welcome to try their luck in
court.

I read the language in both the proposal and in 2050 to mean that
resources assigned under the registry's rules are subject to review
under the registry's rules. The legacy addresses weren't assigned
under any version of ARIN's rules. Unless there's some part of the
language that seems targeted at disrupting that status quo, take the
advice that comes out of this topic every time it's brought up: let
sleeping dogs lie.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004