[arin-ppml] LIR/ISP and End-user definitions

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri May 3 13:17:06 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2.4. Local Internet Registry (LIR) / Internet Service Provider (ISP)
>
> The terms Internet Service Provider (ISP) and LIR are used interchangeably
> in this document.  A Local Internet Registry (LIR) is an IR that assigns
> address space to the users of the network services that it provides.
> Therefore, LIRs / ISPs are organizations that reassign addresses to end
> users and/or reallocate addresses to other ISPs/LIRs.
>
> 2.6. End-user
>
> An end-user is an organization receiving assignments of IP addresses
> exclusively for use in its operational networks, and does not register any
> reassignments of that space.

Hi Scott,

To my read, these definitions offer little additional clarity versus
the existing ones in the NRPM. Consider something like:

2.4. Local Internet Registry (LIR) / Internet Service Provider (ISP)

A Local Internet Registry (LIR) is an organization, such as an
Internet Service Provider (ISP), who as a major function of the
organization or its network permanently or temporarily assigns address
space for use on equipment owned or operated by third parties. Any
ARIN registrant which is not an End User is a LIR.

The terms Internet Service Provider (ISP) and LIR are used
interchangeably in this document.

2.6. End-user

An end-user is an individual or organization receiving assignments of
IP addresses exclusively for use on equipment under the registrant's
direct control. No organization which primarily provides network
services for equipment owned or administered by a third party is an
end user.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004