[arin-ppml] fee structure

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Mar 31 07:05:46 EDT 2013

On Mar 31, 2013, at 12:25 AM, Steven Ryerse <SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com> wrote:

> John, you have responded to me several times including in your comments today below that your policies reflect this community's wishes and that ARIN doesn't actually make the policies.  So, following that logic that means that if this community decides for example to support a policy change that completely stops IPv4 allocations to everyone because of say IPv4 depletion or any other reason, that would be OK with the leadership of ARIN because it is what this community wants.  I submit that such a policy to stop ALL IPv4 allocations would NOT be OK because it would be 100% against the charter of why ARIN was founded and the Mission it is supposed to operate under.

As noted earlier, policy does have meet ARIN's Principles of
Internet Number Resource Policy (Part One, Section 4) which the
ARIN Board adopted as part of the Policy Development Process.

These principles are:

	• Enabling Fair and Impartial Number Resource Administration
	• Technically Sound
	• Supported by the Community

I do not know what the Board would do under such circumstances
(a policy proposal to completely stop IPv4 allocation which _is_
supported by the community) but in theory it could fail to ratify
the policy as failing the first point of enabling administration.
As it turns out, we've never had a case where the community has
advanced policy that could not be ratified in the end, but your
hypothetical point is taken in that the Board would have to decide
whether to abandon the Principles for sake of the overall mission.

> My big picture observation is that all of these discussions are going down the road slowly but surely of DENYING ALL ALLOCATIONS of IPv4. This is why I don't (as you continue to suggest) try to fix a policy by offering a slight change to one - as the whole set of allocation policies needs to be largely abandoned and replaced with a few very simple to administrate policies that gage the size of the organization and match up the allocation to the size of the need - and then ALLOCATE.  IPv4 and IPv6 policies should be identical except for the obvious technical differences.

Changes to policy do no have to be "slight"; that is a restriction
that you place upon yourself.  If you believe that a fundamental
replacement is called for, feel free to propose it.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO