[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Mar 29 15:05:13 EDT 2013

On Mar 29, 2013, at 2:47 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:

> The primary issue I want to avoid people going up and down several times.

Why would this be expected, and/or a concern?

>  I guess we don't need restrict it to people who received a /32 before the /36 or /40 were available.  So, I'd be OK everyone having one opportunity to reduce form /32 to /36 or /40.

The challenge, of course, is that circumstances do change, and  (for example)
a party that thought it wanted to move up to /32 might change its mind a year
later...

ARIN is here to serve the community, so the normal response to any request
should be "Yes", unless there a clear reason (example, potential impacts
to other parties) that something should be prohibited by policy.  Is that
the case here, and can you elaborate on the policy concern that you see?

> Unless you intended to create a generic ability to reduce your allocations that would apply to everyone and not just to the x-small and xx-small categories.  But that wasn't explicitly clear, and I took it that it was intended to allow low end adjustments.  I'd like other to weigh in on if there should be a generic ability to reduce your IPv6 allocation.

Specific policy regarding return of IPv6 space might be necessary if you want
ARIN not to accept returns (or only accept whole blocks and not partial, etc.)

/John