[arin-ppml] fee structure

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri Mar 29 12:48:23 EDT 2013

On 3/29/2013 9:15 AM, John Curran wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com>
>   wrote:
>
>> OK, so ARIN has been accused of having a poll tax mentality, lol.
>> Allow me to throw in the fact that legacy holders like me who did not sign the LRSA do not have a vote, even though we have resources.
>> Resources over which ARIN asserts authority.
>>
>> So we have a form of "taxation without representation" which I call "authority without representation".
>>
>> Why doesn't ARIN stick to asserting policy authority over those with which it has a contract and who are allowed to vote?
>> Or how about letting legacy resource holders vote without a contract with ARIN ?
>>
>> I consider myself both "well informed" and "interested in participating" but by either measure my vote is precluded unless and until I sign a contract with ARIN legally granting them the authority they already assert.  Heck I practically wrote the ARIN 8.3 section but couldn't even vote on it.
> Mike -
>
>    While ARIN does encourage legacy address holders to enter into a
>    registration service agreement, you are not required to do so and
>    in either case, it does not affect ARIN's authority to operate the
>    registry in accordance with the policy developed by the community
>    in this region (and a process which you do have the ability to
>    participate in in either case.)

Sure, but that's not the registry that (at least some) legacy resource
holders want to be listed in. There is no reason why legacy holders
couldn't have been listed in a separate registry with separate
governance, just as the other regions are separate from ARIN's registry.

By listing them in ARIN's registry and enforcing ARIN's policies with
regard to (for instance) transfers (which are really just database
updates in said registry) ARIN took what some of us feel is authority
over those entries that it did not have, and yet because there is no
legacy database in which to list that the RIRs would recognize as far as
uniqueness goes, we're all sorta stuck with the situation.

Personally, I'd be more than happy to have my resource listings (all of
them legacy) removed from the ARIN registry, as long as all of the RIRs
can promise to not allocate the same numbers to someone else. Then I
could publish my own listing of who is using those resources, or band
together with other legacy holders to do so in a coordinated fashion,
and not be bound by ARIN policy when I decide to change those listings.

Right now, I don't have a contract with ARIN and yet ARIN insists on
listing my resources there and enforcing what are essentially arbitrary
rules over what changes I can make to those entries... and sure, it is
ARIN's database and they have that right, but the fact that so many
others reference that database as the "official" source of information
does cause pain for me.

Matthew Kaufman