[arin-ppml] fee structure

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 20:41:36 EDT 2013

On 3/28/13, Randy Carpenter <rcarpen at network1.net> wrote:

ISP's  allocate IP addresses for use by other networks, therefore they
are part of the registry,  they have to enforce criteria spelled out
by ARIN with regards to the
allocations they make.    Most end users will get resources allocated
from an LIR/ISP,
so it makes sense for LIR/sISPs to definitely be members.

End users don't allocate number resources for other networks.  They
just obtain resources for their own use -- their requirement for
resources based on just their network.

It certainly makes sense, that it could be more expensive on a
per-resource basis to be an End user, and go to ARIN,  in some cases,
for a small amount of resources.

So  I don't see your examples as a bug, but a feature.

But if concerned about it...

Perhaps the ARIN membership  cost to be full member and have voting
rights; instead of being a $500/Year,  extra fee  for just end users,
 should be a fee of whatever amount is required  on top of the
resource,  transfer, allocation fees  during the year (for both end
users and ISPs),  to bring the total annual amount to a minimum of
$1400  to initially establish membership, and $1200 a year thereafter
to maintain membership.

If the ISP or end user pays $1200 or more for resource maintenance, or holds
allocations/transfers  that will have that,  then no extra cost every
year to maintain their membership.

&c; &c;
--
-J