[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Thu Mar 28 07:45:56 EDT 2013

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013, Owen DeLong wrote:

> But they are already paying $1,250/year now for their IPv4. Under the
> proposed structure, they could get a /36 and pay $250 less than they are
> paying now.
>
> I am perplexed by your argument.

Which of these statements do I have wrong or is unclear:

1. Under the new fee policy, an IPv4-only /22 holder will pay $500/year

2. Under the new fee policy, and under the current allocation policy, an
IPv4 /22 holder will pay $1000/year starting at the time that they receive
IPv6 space because the minimum IPv6 allocation size puts them into
x-small.

3. $1000/year is double $500/year

4. Some service providers will either not request IPv6 space or will
return IPv6 space to set their costs at $500/year.

5. As a community, it is bad to have incentives in place that encourage
service providers to avoid requesting or return IPv6 address space

--
Brandon Ross                                      Yahoo & AIM:  BrandonNRoss
+1-404-635-6667                                                ICQ:  2269442