[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Thu Mar 28 00:21:01 EDT 2013

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013, John Curran wrote:

>  2) The new fee schedule provides for ISPs the ability to effectively
>     get a corresponding IPv6 block for _no charge_, and this is one
>     of the reasons that we don't have distinct fees for IPv4 and
>     IPv6 but instead a size category which covers an amount of each.

I must be missing something.  Once the pending fee schedule goes into
place, my ISP colleagues who have a /22 of space or less will pay
$500/year.  The moment that they ask for IPv6, under current policy and
pending fee schedule, they will have to pay $1000/year.  How is that "no
charge"?

I would like to see what you have described implemented, which is why I
submitted the policy proposal, but I don't see how it's no charge without
the change.

And yes, I am in contact with at least 2 very small service providers that
this potentially effects.  At least one of them is poor enough that the
$500/year difference DOES make a difference and must be considered when
they decide if they are going to deploy IPv6.

--
Brandon Ross                                      Yahoo & AIM:  BrandonNRoss
+1-404-635-6667                                                ICQ:  2269442