[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Mar 27 20:55:38 EDT 2013

On Mar 27, 2013, at 8:40 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, logically they could have up to  approximately1000 customers,
> assuming no NAT and an average of one /32 per customer.
>
> The IPv6 equivalent of  1000 /48s  = a  /38

Agreed.

Now the ISP could indeed assign a /52 per customer, which means that
/40 would provide for assignments for 4 thousand customers (and at
/56 per customer, well, they can serve quite bit more from /40...)

If we keep them serving 1024 customers, then a /40 provides them with
the ability to serve all of them using /52 size assignments, and an
ISP that feels strongly that a /48 is more appropriate for assignments
could opt for a /36 allocation, and move up to the x-small category
at $1000/year

(In either case, they are paying _far_ less than today's fee schedule
for x-small which is $1250/year if they don't have IPv6, and $1687 per
year if they do.)

FYI,
/John

John Curran