[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Mar 27 16:40:33 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:
>     William> IMO, this problem could (and should!) be solved by billing
>     William> organizations with both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses only for the IPv4
>     William> addresses until IPv6 is prevalent enough to support its own costs.
>     William> ARIN's board is -supposed- to optimize billing policy for
>     William> the sake of
>     William> technically sound number policy, not the other way around.
>
> What should the cost for IPv6-only be?

In my opinion? $100/year for any prefix /32 or longer. Current fee
schedule for anything /31 or shorter. *Until* IPv6 traffic on the
public Internet based on some reasonable measure of packet flows hits
the 50% mark. Once IPv4 traffic falls into the minority on the public
Internet, the current fee schedule (or one like it) should take
effect.

In my opinion.

Regards,
Bill Herrin