[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Mar 27 16:16:18 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3
> Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs
>
> Part 1 brings ARIN's allocation policies in line with the upcoming fee
> schedule so that it is possible to qualify as every level of ISP while
> holding IPv6 number resources.

This looks like a billing policy problem. The technical (i.e. number
policy) case for a smaller-than-/32 ISP allocation seems weak to me.

IMO, this problem could (and should!) be solved by billing
organizations with both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses only for the IPv4
addresses until IPv6 is prevalent enough to support its own costs.
ARIN's board is -supposed- to optimize billing policy for the sake of
technically sound number policy, not the other way around.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004