[arin-ppml] A Redefinition ofIPv4NeedpostARINrun-out(was:Re:Against2013-4)

Sweeting, John john.sweeting at twcable.com
Wed Jun 19 14:16:51 EDT 2013


Hi,

If possible could we move this to a private conversation? This has all been aired on PPML several times before and at this point it serves no purpose. If we could please get back on track and focus on a current draft policy or proposal and state reasons for support or non support it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
John



From: John Curran <jcurran at arin.net<mailto:jcurran at arin.net>>
Date: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:12 PM
To: Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com<mailto:mike at nationwideinc.com>>
Cc: "arin-ppml at arin.net<mailto:arin-ppml at arin.net>" <arin-ppml at arin.net<mailto:arin-ppml at arin.net>>, Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com<mailto:mike at iptrading.com>>
Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] A Redefinition ofIPv4NeedpostARINrun-out(was:Re:Against2013-4)

On Jun 19, 2013, at 12:42 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com<mailto:mike at nationwideinc.com>> wrote:

   You may say "legally purchasing" rights, but I truly don't know what these parties think
   they purchased, since it can't be the ability to inject routes and have them accepted
   (no one can provide that) nor the right to use the entry in the registry, when the
   circumstances are contrary to policy.

I guess they figure they are buying what the Nortel bankruptcy judge called the “exclusive right to use” the addresses.

Indeed, but those are rights which may be transferred in accordance with policy.  In the case
of Nortel, this was accomplished by ARIN working with Microsoft and confirming compliance
and then removing our objection, a point which Nortel's own filing makes - "10. Second, the
revisions reflected in the Amended Sale Agreement and Revised Order were the result of
negotiations between Microsoft, ARIN and NNI and, accordingly, ARIN’s counsel has
informed NNI that it does not oppose entry of the Revised Order. " <NNI Docket #5280>

No problem buying the rights (that is, after all, what a transfer is) but you also have to wait
for the approval before considering the deal "closed", just as in the Nortel case.

Consider if the buyer of the radio station could begin and continue broadcasting without regard to regulatory approval?
Does that make a listener un-hear a broadcast? Or would the incentives lead to lots of wildcat radio stations pending approval?

The safest move is to finalize the sale upon the approval; claiming that it is complete prior
to that point is rather innovative (and might even be considered fraud if done knowingly...)

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN




________________________________
This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20130619/cf50db7a/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list