[arin-ppml] ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles / Request for General Thoughts

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Fri Jun 7 13:22:50 EDT 2013

On 6/7/13 7:16 AM, Chris Grundemann wrote:

There are either unstated assumptions or undefined terms here.

> 1) Do you support the principle of efficient utilization based on need
> (Conservation/Sustainability)?

What is efficiently utilized (leaving each of those undefined)? Is it
an arbitrary set of possible values in 32 bits, or is it the
uniqueness preserving allocation of sets of values in 32 bits for
which the present, hierarchical routing protocol, is capable by
ordinary means of routing?

> 2) Do you support the principle of hierarchical aggregation (Routability)?

As a present engineering practice or as an end in itself? At present,
of course. In the abstract, no.

> 3) Do you support the principle of uniqueness (Registration)?

Hmm. Is this really a question about uniqueness of a set of 32 bit
values, or is it a question about the 32 bit values and a tuple of
other values, one or more properties evaluated jointly?

I'd like to say "Yes", but I'm not sure if this is "Swat the Gnat" or
Gnot.

> 4) Do you support the goal of balancing these principles with each
> other under the overarching principle of Stewardship?

<Archaic_Government_Contractor_Hat="ON">

I'm certain that public allocation for public purposes is mandatory to
implement when managing a government created resource. Allocation of a
public resource by an entity exercising delegated rule making (aka
"allocation") authority, for private use, must be according to
delegation rule.

</Archaic_Government_Contractor_Hat>

Meta -- Some argue that what was transferred from the DoD to the NSF
and then to a non-profit was an address block with two legal regimes,
the "legacy allocations", and the "post-legacy allocations". The usual
framework for finding some authorities for present allocation assumes
this as an unqualified fact.

I think the government interest in the resource is only stated in part
by reference to pre-delegation and post-delegation rule making, and
the fundamentals of sustainability, scalability, and public utility
are not permanently constrained by any momentary rule.

Eric