[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jun 26 15:17:11 EDT 2013

On Jun 26, 2013, at 1:45 PM, Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net> wrote:

> I don't want to beat this jurisdictional horse much more, but the 1973
> allocation of addresses to the TIP at NORSAR, the first
> extra-territorial allocation of an ARPA address asset, did not arise
> from a request originating in the US Departments of Justice, or State.
>
> Jurisdiction was not an original constraint on allocation. Subsequent
> allocations to the TIP in London, and later during the Defense
> Communications Agency management period to sites in the West Pacific
> and East Atlantic regions similarly did not arise from requests
> originating in the US Departments of Justice, or State.
>
> Jurisdiction as a constraint on allocation is proposed in the present.
> My point is that it is novel, not required, and not a substitute for
> existing law establishing nexus for a variety of ordinary business
> purposes, unrelated to addresses and routing.

Eric -

  Much clearer - thanks for the elaboration.   You are correct; to my
  knowledge, there was not any geographic constraint on early allocations
  (e.g. those done as "DDN-NIC" or "InterNIC")

  It might be worth noting that ARIN's original service region was "Rest
  of World" (everything not within RIPE and APNIC service regions), and
  that the recognition of LACNIC and AfriNIC service regions were based
  on the organizing of service providers in those regions, in order to
  establish regional registry services with better alignment in languages,
  service hours, and more local governance models; it was not derived per
  se from a desire for a geographic constraint to the allocation model.

 (I have no view on the draft policy under discussion, and am providing
  the above information solely for accuracy of the community discussion
  of same.)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran