[arin-ppml] ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles / Request for General Thoughts

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 26 13:12:28 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Kevin Kargel <kkargel at polartel.com> wrote:
> <Kevin> Isn't the liquidity of a transfer market in itself outside of ARIN's scope?

Hi Kevin,

That depends. With all this talk about conservation, operational need,
documented need, and even the requirement for a transfer market to be
possible, I would propose that we're beating around the bush of an
unstated core principle: that ARIN is responsible for implementing an
allocation process for number resources which is sustainable over the
full life cycle of the protocols which consume each resource.

If you don't agree that's the case then there's a fair argument to be
made that transfer market liquidity is a concern outside of ARIN's
scope.

But if you agree with the sustainability principle then IPv4 transfer
market liquidity is of primary concern.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004