[arin-ppml] Territorialize the Internet (Was: Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors)

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Jun 25 19:34:39 EDT 2013

On 6/25/13 15:50 , Milton L Mueller wrote:

>  That is because of the pressure to "territorialize" the Internet; i.e., to make the scope of Internet operations and governance institutions conform to the jurisdictional boundaries of nation-states. I believe that territorializing or jurisdiction-alizing Internet operations and governance is a step backwards to the pre-1990s world of telephone companies, and thus to service trade barriers, less operational efficiency and dozens if not hundreds of sets of rules, and eventual de-globalization of the internet. Taken to its logical conclusion, 2013-6 would imply that ARIN be abolished and replaced with 20 NIRs (national Internet registries). I mean, if you really want to tie address allocation and assignment to specific territories in order to make law enforcement and identification easier, you should not have transnational IRs at all. We could perhaps ask the ITU to run this proposed territorialized system, as they are appropriately organized along nation-state/intergovernme
 ntal line
s. Oh wait, they already proposed that: https://datatracker.ietf.org/documents/LIAISON/file1141.pdf

I agree we don't want to "territorialize" the world of the Internet.
That said, we do live, work, and do business, every day within a world
of nation-states, it is how we the people of the world organize the
physical world, right or wrong.  So, the Internet can't ignore
nation-states any more than nation-states can ignore the Internet.

How do we find DETENTE between the worlds of the Internet and of
nation-states?  Is requiring accurate documentation in the registry of
what jurisdiction addresses are use in a reasonable start to such detente?

I don't think it is practical to limit where addresses are used, but I
don't think it is unreasonable to require that where they are used be
documented.  A basic requirement like that serve several needs, it help
law enforcement determine proper jurisdiction, but similarly would aid
in resolution of civil disputes, like determining proper jurisdiction
for cease and desist orders, help meet content distribution limitations
within contracts, etc...

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952