[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jun 25 18:08:48 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would probably be more workable if it were written as such:
>
> "Any organization requesting ARIN issued number resources or ASN's must
> provide ARIN with evidence of a legally established presence in the ARIN
> region. "

I agree.

> And this is already the case.

Is it? I thought the criteria was that the addresses were to be used
within the ARIN region, irrespective of legal presence? Would ARIN
deny addresses to a French company running web servers on leased VMs
in Manhattan?

I want to echo other folks sentiments regarding participation by law
enforcement: these are good folks whose voices are and should be
welcome here. Everything else being equal, we should choose to make
their endeavors more effective.

Of course, "everything else being equal" is a big caveat. A policy
which is unsound, excessive or otherwise broken absent law enforcement
considerations remains so when those considerations are factored in.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004