[arin-ppml] A Redefinition ofIPv4NeedpostARINrun-out(was:Re:Against2013-4)

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Wed Jun 19 13:42:34 EDT 2013

Hi John,

   You may say "legally purchasing" rights, but I truly don't know what these parties think
   they purchased, since it can't be the ability to inject routes and have them accepted
   (no one can provide that) nor the right to use the entry in the registry, when the
   circumstances are contrary to policy.

I guess they figure they are buying what the Nortel bankruptcy judge called the “exclusive right to use” the addresses.
Whatever it is they are buying, they are routing and using the addresses. They move....

   This is not new concept; e.g. you can buy a radio station broadcast license from an
   existing operator, but it's not actually a sale until it passes regulatory approvals to be
   reassigned to you.  Until that time, your purchase is without any actual substance.

/John

Consider if the buyer of the radio station could begin and continue broadcasting without regard to regulatory approval?
Does that make a listener un-hear a broadcast? Or would the incentives lead to lots of wildcat radio stations pending approval?

Regards,
Mike