[arin-ppml] A Redefinition of IPv4 Need post ARINrun-out(was:Re:Against2013-4)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 19 09:25:20 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> On Jun 18, 2013, at 7:14 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:
>> 1. It has been argued that the larger ISPs have the prior advantage of
>> holding highly valuable alienable assets which they received for free, which
>> provide them with a competitive advantage over less endowed entities seeking
>> to purchase addresses at a much higher relative price.
>
> Yes, it has been argued. It hasn't necessarily been substantiated, nor has
> anyone raising said argument provided any real evidence to support it.

Of course the incumbent's assets offer a competitive advantage over
the challenger. With such a prima facie case, the burden rests on who
disagree to disprove it.

What's less obvious is:

1. Is this unreasonable?

2. How do ARIN's policies interact with this otherwise natural state
of affairs? Favorable/neutral/disfavorable to the
incumbent/challenger?

3. Is that unreasonable?

>> Remember the cap on needs-free transfers is designed to free up the market
>> to incentivize more transactions, each of which presumably entails the move
>> of addresses from lower-use states to higher-use states, while providing
>> some protection for market manipulations.

I think I would cautiously favor an experiment in this realm:

* Limit needs-free transfers to receiving one transfer of /20 or less
per year per organization,

* Keep the needs analysis for free pool assignments with a presumption
that a quick transfer out indicates fraud in the original
registration,

* Include a strong publication requirement. Originator and recipient
to be explicitly and publicly called out by ARIN with full details so
that anyone can monitor the status of the experiment.

* We don't consider expansion from /20 until at least 200 such
transfers go through so that we can work with real data when
predicting the efficacy of an expanded policy.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004