[arin-ppml] Fw: A Redefinition of IPv4 Need post ARINrun-out(was:Re:Against2013-4)

Jason Schiller jschiller at google.com
Tue Jun 18 12:40:23 EDT 2013

Comments in line.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:

> [...]

The problem here is not the the hoarding that results in removal of
addresses from the
market leading to market manipulation but rather the arbitrary and
anti-competitive
policy that would qualify smaller organizations (if they can afford it) to
buy enough
addresses to satisfy their need for many many years (more than
the likely transition time
to wide spread IPv6 adoption), while large organizations (ones that expect
more than a
growth of a /12 over the time to wide spread ipv6 adoption) can only secure
two years.

One could imagine a medium sized residential ISP that adds 65,000 customers
a year,
with an install base of about 1,000,000.  At a /16 per year, a /12
represents 16 years of
growth.

Now imagine they are competing in the same footprint as a large residential
ISP  that adds
about 1,000,000 customers a year.  That ISP can only make long term plans,
and a business
plan based on the current price for IPs for the next two years.

The large residential ISP is at a competitive disadvantage, as they cannot
depend on IP
addresses being available in two years time, or at a price that is
sustainable in the current or
proposed business model.  If in two years time the price of IPs climes,
then the large
residential ISP is at a disadvantage.

___Jason