[arin-ppml] A Redefinition of IPv4 Need post ARIN run-out (was:Re:Against 2013-4)

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Wed Jun 12 11:17:26 EDT 2013

I think ARIN should request some attestation from a corporate officer that
the corporation was not created or utilized in any attempt to evade the cap.
We are talking transactions in the multiple millions of dollars.
There have been very, very few of these to date.
I believe that any attempt to end run this cap would stick out like a sore
thumb, and the attestation would be disincentive enough.
But I would be interested in hearing if this issue of hidden linkages has
been a problem for ARIN, or if staff felt that there is a real danger that
multiple hiddenly-linked entities would conspire successfully to the point
they could corner the market or hoard effectively to the point that price
and availability would change.

ARIN must already have staff procedures in place to detect linked entities
when they are evaluating additional allocation requests from the free pool.
They can just apply these procedures and language to the determination of
linkage in the context of transfers under the cap.

The argument is that current policy is causing problems in the delivery of
small blocks in some cases.
You identified the issue yourself with the question about /24 availability.
This is a real cost, as is the cost to accuracy of Whois that results from
the retention of needs tests for all transfers.

The linked shell company scam is a potential problem that I believe we can
identify and deal with should the potential materialize.
The other problems are real and present today.

Regards,
Mike