[arin-ppml] ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles / Request for General Thoughts

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 19:29:45 EDT 2013

On 6/10/13, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/10/13, Tony Hain <alh-ietf at tndh.net> wrote:
> Professional survey developers are expensive,  and we don't need for
> membership fees to go up for more expensive policy development,
> requiring professional survey developers.    It's also important to
> understand,  that any survey conducted on PPML mailing lists will
> suffer selection bias,  causing the outcome to potentially deviate
> from the actual view of the larger RIR community,   so there can't be
> an entirely unbiased survey here;   even if the questions are
> perfectly unbiased,  a survey conducted on the mailing list would have
> some inherent bias.

P.S.   I don't mean to imply by the above that "surveys"  or
"questions"  on PPML are useless, or questions such as those posed are
a bad/non-useful thing;  the questions and their responses can be
informative and useful,  as long  as the limitations and specific
characteristics are understood by the participants.

I only mean,  that "professional survey development" on PPML would be
overkill, due to the statistical limitations,  that prevent drawing a
valid conclusion by counting answers.

--
-JH