[arin-ppml] ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles / Request for General Thoughts

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Mon Jun 10 15:26:49 EDT 2013

Milton,

Point taken about the specific proposal, BUT:
One could take Chris' questions & the entirety of 2013-4 as a soul-searching
referendum on what many believe are Arin's fundamental operating principles
& mission statement, and as such those need an unbiased survey. One could
also argue that discussing any specific policy proposal in the context of
ambiguous operating principles is pointless,,,, unless there is a perceived
weakness that might be exploited and inverted into as large a barrier for
the reverse view as its current state is perceived to be by those initiating
the discussion.

That said, translating 2050 principles into current & forward thinking RIR
policy needs to happen. In that light "Stewardship" of public resources is
the mission, not a policy point, as policies are applied to achieve the
mission. The point of "needs based" distribution is to preclude a
run-on-the-bank-because-you-can, but as I said earlier in an IPv6 context
this has to avoid being so focused on 'conservation' that it precludes
innovation. One could go so far as to argue that "need" in an IPv4 market
distribution model is less about conservation, and more about precluding
hoarding and speculative market manipulations, so functionally
"conservation" is a term that is OBE and applied only to the IPv4 free-pool.
If "efficient" still needs to be on the list as a measurement-metric /
enforcement-stick, combine it with routability, and make it something like
"routing efficiency within the deployed technology". This would allow a home
/ SMB routing technology to be less "efficient" than a professional network
engineer, as well as allow for new / different / non-hierarchal  routing
technologies to emerge over time.  I would also argue that "uniqueness" is
not an operating principle, as much as a means to achieve the principle of
"public documentation". "Registration" as an RIR principle is circular and
says the RIR's mission is simply to sustain itself.

Tony

IPv4-