[arin-ppml] ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles / Request for General Thoughts

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 18:26:38 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,

I am going to differentiate between principals and practices.
Practices should not be in the (resulting) principals document
(practices should be, and in many cases are, in the NRPM).

> 1) Do you support the principle of efficient utilization based on need
> (Conservation/Sustainability)?

I support the principal of sustainable/fair allocation/assignment.
I support the practice of allocation/assignment based on need.

> 2) Do you support the principle of hierarchical aggregation (Routability)?

I support the principal of allocation/assignment to support scaleable routing.
I support the practice of allocation/assignment to enable hierarchical
aggregation.
I do not support the implication that any allocation/assignment is routable,
or any allocation/assignment needs to be routed.

> 3) Do you support the principle of uniqueness (Registration)?

I support both the principal and practice of registration uniqueness.

> 4) Do you support the goal of balancing these principles with each
> other under the overarching principle of Stewardship?

I can support the principal of stewardship (which means
responsible planning and management) of resources.
However, it needs to be clearer to whom that responsibility
is assigned to.  ICANN, ARIN members, ISPs, the community,
or someone/something else?

Gary