[arin-ppml] ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles / Request for General Thoughts

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jun 7 13:12:26 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Bill Darte <billdarte at gmail.com> wrote:
> William Herrin via arin.net 10:47 AM (36 minutes ago)
> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1) Do you support the principle of efficient utilization based on need
> > (Conservation/Sustainability)?
>
> No. I support the practice but not the principle. Use of the concept
> of justified need should be pragmatic not dogmatic. Where another
> practice can be shown to be more effective at achieving
> sustainability, no guiding principles should dissuade us from using
> it.
>
> Bill....We've seen the effectiveness with ARIN's practice since
> '97, but what other practice do you advocate that has
> demonstrable success with IP addresses?

Hi Bill,

We've seen the effectiveness of ARIN-style justified need? Really? I
see a history of failure. The whole point of it was to not run out of
addresses until after IPv4 could be deprecated in favor of IPv6.
Failed that one. Meanwhile we have wireless carriers running around
with /9's secured to a state where they could just as effectively have
used RFC 1918. Because the phone in my pocket can "justify" holding
three IP addresses. Failed that one too. And the bureaucratic process
implementing justified need is so tangled that it's frequently more
cost effective to set up a clean shell company just to interact with
ARIN. That's beyond failure, it's just plain nuts.

Simple market shows promise. The theory looks good and the available
data doesn't contradict it. Doesn't demonstrate success yet either,
but my crystal ball suggests that some version of market will pan out
for IPv4.

Principles are intended to dogmatically eliminate avenues of
discussion so that it isn't necessary to routinely hehash the
reasoning again and again. I think we SHOULD revisit our commitment to
"justified need" as new data comes in. That's the opposite of
codifying it as a principle.

-Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004