[arin-ppml] ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles / Request for General Thoughts

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Fri Jun 7 10:50:36 EDT 2013

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013, Chris Grundemann wrote:

[...]

> 1) Do you support the principle of efficient utilization based on need
> (Conservation/Sustainability)?

Yes.

> 2) Do you support the principle of hierarchical aggregation (Routability)?

Heirarchical aggregation is more a secondary goal.  Routability is very
important.  Using current technology, aggregation is vital to achieving
this, but I can foresee changes that would make aggregation less important
or even irrelevant.

But routability should remain an essential principle.

> 3) Do you support the principle of uniqueness (Registration)?

Absolutely, especially in IPv6, where we can still do something about it.
(RFC1918 was and is necessary for IPv4, but really is a bandaid.)

> 4) Do you support the goal of balancing these principles with each
> other under the overarching principle of Stewardship?

I would define Stewardship as the balancing of competing and often
conflicting aims to acheive the maximum benefit for the community overall.
So, yes.

[...]

--
John Santos