[arin-ppml] Against 2013-4

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 20:01:25 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 11:44 PM, Steven Ryerse
<SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com> wrote:
> The day is coming where IPv4 will become a whole lot more scarce as ARIN's supply decreases.  The needs based policies will need to be constantly tightened "to keep from running out".

Why should they need to be tightened?  ARIN will run out (well, there
may be the critical infrastructure pool remaining).  I believe everyone
expects ARIN to run out(*).  Some are hoping it will result in an
accelerated move to IPv6.  Some are hoping to profit on transffering
numbers.  Some are desperately trying to understand how to make
business plans for the run-out.  Some have no idea it will happen,
so will be surprised.  For some, it just will not matter (they have what
they are likely to ever need).  And some are probably hoping to retire
before it happens.

In any case, when the numbers run out, they are out.  There is
likely to be a low amount of churn as companies change plans
(or go out of business) and a few numbers become available and
are reallocated to people waiting, but there will come a day when
there is no more.  So be it.

Gary

(*) For some values of "run out".