[arin-ppml] Against 2013-4

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Wed Jun 5 13:06:51 EDT 2013

Milton L Mueller wrote:
>> My perception is that the ARIN community is strongly biased to support
>> needs basis and there is a very vocal minority trying to eliminate it so that
>> they can create a market they can profit by.  I don't read the opposition to
>
> The public interest case for eliminating needs basis is very clear.

quite to the contrary: it's nothing like clear.

> The feeling is that bureaucratic needs assessments introduce significant friction into the transfer process, ...

i'm very interested in any objective documented facts, such as
statements by someone who needed addresses who could not acquire them
due to friction such as you describe. otherwise it's just a "feeling" as
you call it, and has no role in policy debate.

> making it more difficult for addresses to shift from people with a surplus to people who actually need them.

it seems to me that until the ARIN free pool gets emptier, people who
need addresses will find that applying for greenfield addresses since
that's cheaper than the transfer market. if that's so, then any
"difficulty" at the moment is presumptive.

> It is the current system that is characterized by hoarding, not a freer market.

is it the difficulty encountered by surplus-holders, rather than
encountered by address-needers, that you're concerned about? if so, why?
the internet's address registry system is designed to promote network
expansion. nothing you've described is preventing that.

all of us who lived through enron's monetization of electricity demand
during a deregulation experiment in california back in Y2K or so --
which was an extremely free market! -- will continue to worry about
numers resource transfers toward entities who don't need those resources
for their own network expansion.

paul