[arin-ppml] Needs assessment

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 5 12:51:13 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> What is it, exactly, that makes selling a number block as an alienable
> commodity intrinsically evil but selling it bundled with internet service
> worthy and wonderful?

Hoarding.

If I collect quarters because I like shiny round objects that increase
in value, the mint just makes more. There is no mint that can make
more IPv4 addresses, so we need controls against starving fresh demand
while others hold on to IPv4 addresses which aren't being efficiently
used to provide services.

Commodities are not generally a true zero-sum game. IPv4 redistribution is.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004