[arin-ppml] Against 2013-4

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 12:12:32 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> [...]

In theory, this has always been the case, not a compelling reason to
ditch decades of stewardship practice IMHO.

> Kevin's comments, in other words, seem to support exactly the opposite of the position he is upholding.
>
>> My perception is that the ARIN community is strongly biased to support
>> needs basis and there is a very vocal minority trying to eliminate it so that
>> they can create a market they can profit by.  I don't read the opposition to
>
> The public interest case for eliminating needs basis is very clear. (I am an academic, by the way, not in any way connected to the brokerage or secondary market.)
> The feeling is that bureaucratic needs assessments introduce significant friction into the transfer process, making it more difficult for addresses to shift from people with a surplus to people who actually need them.

but if they need them, it's not hard to show that need!  As someone
who has been both the requester and the bureaucrat, I would
characterize the "friction" as insignificant.

> It is the current system that is characterized by hoarding, not a freer market.

Have you any evidence for this?

--
Cheers,

McTim