[arin-ppml] Against 2013-4

Jason Schiller jschiller at google.com
Tue Jun 4 12:17:08 EDT 2013

Bill,

I do value your input and would like to hear specifically
which concepts that are popping up that have died.

I agree that open discourse and changing of minds is
indeed a good thing.

We do need to have a discussion of alternate approaches
to conservation, changing definitions of justification and
efficient utilization for various number resources.  No
doubt the needle will move and number policy is changing.

But I feel this is best accomplished in small steps, and the
smallest step is distilling out the current principles and putting
them in the NRPM.  Once we do that they exist in the NRPM
and under the current PDP can be changed through community
support, like any other part of the PDP.

But if we plant a flag in the sand and say we are unwilling to
accept this text because it includes current principles that we
think should be dead, then we are left with three options:

1. keep the  17 year old RFC 2050

2. insist more "stewardship" be added to 2050bis
    or that it only updates the current RFC 2050
    (have this fight in the IETF)

3. lose the concepts of stewardship in RFC 2050
    (I'm not sure what that does to documents that point to 2050)
    And need to start this process from ground zero

___Jason