[arin-ppml] Against 2013-4

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jun 3 16:52:39 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM, John Osmon <josmon at rigozsaurus.com> wrote:
> When (say) MIT asked for space, Class B was too small their needs and
> Class A was the only larger size available.  They didn't request a /8,
> they requested a netblock that fit their needs and got a Class A.  The
> needs assessment at the time was simply different.

Hi John,

Not exactly. IIRC (and the old fogies are free to correct me here) the
predecessor to IPv4 had exactly 256 addresses. When IPv4 was deployed,
each prior user was automatically assigned the /8 corresponding to
their prior address. MIT is one of the organizations which had a
computer using the prior Internet protocol, so they automatically
received a /8.

Very few /8's were assigned after that. Anybody who wanted more than a
class B received multiple class B's, not a class A.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004