[arin-ppml] Against 2013-4

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jun 3 14:08:25 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Jun 3, 2013, at 12:34 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> Suggesting that the pre-1995 templates were "quite clear" in their
>> needs-basis stretches the truth. Prior to the 9/94 template, the
>> standard for larger-than-/24 assignments was "strong and convincing
>> reason" with no further guidance as to what sort of reason was
>> acceptable. No reason was expected for a /24 assignment.
>>
>> The 8/95 template was the first one which called out the estimate of
>> hosts and subnets as providing the justification for a larger-than-/24
>> assignment.
>
> Bill, the 4/90 template asks for the number of hosts that will be on
> the network initially, within one year, two years, and five years,
> and then additionally requires a strong and convincing reason if you
> are requesting more that a /24. You've already got a copy of here:
> <http://bill.herrin.us/network/templates/199004-internet-number-template.txt>

Hi John,

Which part of the statement do you dispute?

That prior to ARIN no standard was expressed for rejecting a /24
assignment request, hence such requests had no basis in "need"?

That prior to the 9/94 template, the standard for larger-than-/24
assignments was "strong and convincing reason" with no further
guidance as to what sort of reason was acceptable?

That the 8/95 template was the first one which called out the estimate of
hosts and subnets as providing the justification for a larger-than-/24
assignment?

Prior to the 8/95 template, a registrant could as easily have
understood the request for host estimates to be for statistical
purposes rather than as a factor in approving the application.

Were registrants being asked, "Why do you want that much?" before
1995? Clearly they were. Were they being asked in any kind of rigorous
way that even vaguely resembles what we mean when we talk about "needs
basis" today? They were not.

And yes, anyone who cares to form an opinion from the original source
materials can find them at http://bill.herrin.us/network/templates/

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004