[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Sat Jun 1 13:24:57 EDT 2013

Jason, further comments inline.

On 5/30/2013 10:18 PM, Jason Schiller wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> (Putting aside the RFC-2050 3.1 - does this create a new ability to
> revoke legacy IPs for the other thread)
>
> Your comments boil down to:
>
> 1. it comes down to "modernizing" the 2050 text/principles
> 2. keeping principles in the principles section and not putting
> specific policy in the principles section.
>
> In general I agree with both.
>
> I tried to start with 2050 text/principles, and only attempted to go
> beyond that text where it helped,
> e.g. such as substituting "efficient use" for conservation (nobody
> uses conservation) but still paying
> homage to the conservation section that this principle stems from.
>
> It is possible that some of the language from 2050 is to detailed or
> "policy specific" and should be
> stripped away and moved into other more relevant sections of the NRPM.
>  This may be a bit tricky to
> do in separate proposals as you want both things to happen.
>
> I propose we ether initially adopt, then decide if certain details
> should be moved elsewhere, or
> figure out which specific details should be moved where,and include
> them in this proposal (or both).
>
> But just because there already is a detailed section on say transfers,
> doesn't mean it shouldn't also
> be included in the principles section that
>
> "The transfer of Internet number resources from one party to another
> must be approved by the regional
>   registries. The party trying to obtain the resources must meet the
> same criteria as if they were
>   requesting resources directly from the IR."

I think having a transfers section in the principles, document is
appropriate, I would point out that today the transfer policies are
different from the direct RIR policies, e.g. 24months vs. 3 months.  So
today we don't follow the above principle.

I'd propose the following updated text:

The transfer of Internet number resources from one organization to
another must be approved by a RIR.  Transfer policies are created by
Internet stakeholders through the community driven policy development
process.

> One could image that the ARIN community decides that there should be
> no transfers, and all
> redistribution of addresses should be through return to IANA and split
> equally among the RIRs.
> In this case the ARIN community could abolish the text on transfers.
>  Would we then loose the
> principle that if a transfer was to happen (say a new transfer policy
> in the future) it should be
> governed by the same principles of getting address space directly from
> the RIRs?
>
> Specific text changes:
>
> 1. number resources
>
> I agree we should try to use number resources as much as possible
> where it makes sense.
> I'm not sure who owns the text at this point, I think maybe the AC.
>  They should look very
> carefully at each use of IP address and see if number resource can
> be substituted without
> creating some strage IP address specific restriction on ASNs.
>
> 2.  IPv4/IPv6 protocol differences
>
> I am not opposed to adding "Conservation goals may vary due to the
> technical differences
> between IP number resources pools."  to section 0.4 just after to
> the sentence "Care must be taken
> to ensure balance with these conflicting goals given the resource
> availability, relative size of the
> resource, and number resource specific technical dynamics, for each
> type of number resource."
>
> I felt like that was covered under "relative size of the resource, and
> number resource specific
> technical dynamics", and the following examples of how the balance
> shifts directly illustrates that.
> But if it is not clear enough, the additional text you recommend will
> be helpful.
>
> 3. sustainability
>
> I'm happy to accept some text on this... but I'm not exactly sure what
> it is..

While using "sustainability" instead of "conservation" would be a
textual change, it might be a positive change.  To me what the RIRs do
with number resources today are more closely aligned with the definition
of sustainability vs conservation.

Sustainability to me means managing a resource for all stakeholders.
Conservation sometimes means preserving the status quo or excluding
certain uses to protect the resource.

The word "conservation" appears 3 times in the current posted draft.
Just substituting the word "sustainability" seems to make sense to me.
This might however be too much a of a jump for others.

> 4. documentation to promote increased utilization
>
> So I think there are a number of reasons accurate documentation is
> important,
> and I think one of them is so that the RIR can measure utilization and
> judge
> current usage prior to deciding to give additional space.  This
> process causes
> more efficient utilization over all.
>
> I think this aspect is important, and should be included.  It is
> possible the some
> word smithing may be in order.
>
> "Resource holders will be required to provide an accounting of
> resources currently held
> in order to provide the necessary transparency and accountability.
>  This information provides
> IRs the ability to measure efficient utilization of current
> space prior to allocating or assigning
> additional space."

I the above proposed text is pretty good.

> 5. transfers
>
> I agree, the details of transfer policy should be in the "main"
> portion of the NRPM, and already is,
> and that is where the details of transfers should be documented.
>
> But I also think RFC-2050 gives us some high level guiding principles
> wrt transfers:
> A. RIRs must approve
> B. must be consistent with the criteria as if they were requesting an
> IP address directly
>
> I think these principles should be included.
>
> I am not opposed to the text "RIRs shall determine IP number resources
> transfer policies through
> their community driven policy development process."  In fact all
> policies (except emergency ones)
> are determined by the community through the PDP...but I'm not sure
> that changes anything.

See above proposed text and comments.