[arin-ppml] Initial ISP Allocation Policy

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jul 17 20:54:05 EDT 2013

On Jul 17, 2013, at 5:00 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 17, 2013, at 4:34 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>>> What about Comcast? They're in the business of providing cable
>>> television service. They'll also provide you with Internet access on
>>> the same coax cable with the modem they rent you.
>>>
>>> ISP or end-user?
>>
>> The service is intended to be used to connect customer-owned
>> equipment to the internet. As such, they are clearly in the LIR/ISP realm.
>
> Starbucks, Hilton, they have large sections of the operation dedicated
> to connecting customer-owned equipment to the Internet. You said:

Permit me to rephrase… The service (in the case of Comcast) is intended to connect customer-owned networking equipment to the internet (e.g. routers, bridges, etc.). In the case of Starbucks, Hilton, etc., the expectation is that you are connecting a terminal host and not a packet forwarding device.

>> Each Starbucks itself is more like an end-user. They never register the
>> addresses to the users and the users are making very transient use of those addresses.
>
> So does that mean that an ISP generally leases Internet service monthy
> or yearly but and end-user only leases Internet service hourly or
> daily?

See above. I think getting into this level of semantic detail is a clear case of reductio ad absurdum.

Owen