[arin-ppml] Initial ISP Allocation Policy

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jul 17 17:12:52 EDT 2013

On Jul 17, 2013, at 3:51 PM, "Alexander, Daniel" <Daniel_Alexander at cable.comcast.com> wrote:

> Owen,
>
> Your reply sounds circular to me. Is the process of explaining resources
> complicated because they are end users or ISP's, or are they complicated
> because the policy requirements have made them so by creating all the
> distinctions? All the issues you mention are because the policies are
> different. I'm really not trying to give a cheap answer. It is a question
> to the larger point of the email.

I don't believe that the current process is complicated. I believe that if we were to try and shoehorn everything into one process, it would be complicated. My intent was to express how the current end-user policy does not map well to an ISP/LIR and how the current ISP/LIR policy would not map well to an end-user.

If you have language that you think could be used to meet both sets of users' needs, then I would be very interested in seeing that. I have tried to think of language that could do that and it seems an insurmountable task to me, but I am perfectly willing to accept that you may be more clever or better able to tackle that problem than I am.

> I was more curious about everyones thoughts on the high level concept.
> Should the distinctions in network definitions be applied to how resources
> are justified, tracked, or both?

I think they are at least necessary in terms of justification. I think that because of the fee implications, they should also apply to how they are tracked. Further, I think it would be very punitive to end-users to make them start paying the same fees as LIRs/ISPs.

> To make a change like this would require multiple proposals. David's
> initial ISP allocation question is a good place to start.

I do agree that the initial ISP allocation policy for IPv4 probably may be worth tweaking, not because I think that longer prefixes should be issued to ISPs as David proposes, but because I believe that we should remove some of the deadly-embrace conditions that exist in that policy and perhaps make it somewhat easier to qualify for a base /22 regardless of an ISPs immediate ability to utilize all of the space within 3 months.

However, for the free pool, I don't see much point in changing IPv4 policy at this point. However, since this would also affect a new entities ability to obtain resources through the transfer process, I would suggest that effort in this area may still be worth while.

Owen