[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles - revised

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Jul 15 22:39:37 EDT 2013

On Jul 15, 2013, at 9:37 PM, Jason Schiller <jschiller at google.com> wrote:

> So that left placing these principles in the NRPM.  A place that the
> community looks after and can easily change.
>
> It is possible, assuming there is community consensus on what the
> principles should be, that they could be moved out of the NRPM
> and placed in the ARIN bi-laws or some other place, but that may
> take changes out the hands of the community, and make it even
> more difficult to update.... I'm not sure that is a good feature.

If these truly are the foundational principals of the Internet Number Registry
System, as expressed via the community-based development process, then
one would expect that they would:

 - Not change very often
 - Be common across all of the regions
 - Eventually make it into some form of globally coordinated policy

If there are simply principles that apply in the ARIN region, then the NRPM is
a perfectly suitable place to locate them (just as are presently expressed in
the beginning of NRPM section 4 and section 6.)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO