[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles - revised

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Jul 15 19:08:16 EDT 2013

On 7/15/13 17:53 , Steven Ryerse wrote:
> So I infer from your comments that this community doesn't have to help create policies that align with ARIN's stated mission. Wow!  So following that logic to the extreme then would it be OK for this community to create a policy that no more allocations of any kind will be made?  I think not!  So then is it OK for this community to create policies that's primary goal is to partially stop allocations?  Using the exact same logic as I used above - I think not.  I do think it is OK for this community to help create policies that right size allocations and I think that is covered in the Mission Statement.
>
> I humbly submit that ignorance of ARINs Mission Statement is the underlying problem why I think policy making in this community has gone off track.

No policies have to align with the mission statement, or if they are far
enough out of line with the mission statement the Board wouldn't approve
a policy.  However, the mission statement isn't as clear cut as you seem
to think it is.

   ARIN, a nonprofit member-based organization, supports the operation
   of the Internet through the management of Internet number resources
   throughout its service region; coordinates the development of
   policies by the community for the management of Internet Protocol
   number resources; and advances the Internet through informational
   outreach.

The above mission statement allow a wide variety of things, the
interpretation of which of those are good or bad is mostly up to the
community.  And I don't see how any of the proposed Principles in
ARIN-2013-4 conflict with the mission statement.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952