[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles - revised

Matthew Wilder Matthew.Wilder at telus.com
Mon Jul 15 18:30:19 EDT 2013

Remember, though, that ARIN is not the same as the community.  According to the mission statement, ARIN “coordinates the development of policies by the community for the management of Internet Protocol number resources…”  It is essential to differentiate ARIN and the community, given that ARIN does not develop policies.  ARIN staff weighs in on policies through the Policy Development Process (PDP, viewable here: https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html) and ultimately implements the policy in their operational roles.

In other words, the community – and not ARIN – is the originator of the principles on which policies are developed.

As far as your comment on the use of the word conservation, I believe I now see your issue with the word.  In your mind conservation means “don’t give anything to anybody”.  At the same time, I don’t think the word can reasonably be understood to have that meaning.  It is obvious that ARIN continues to allocate and assign resources (and probably will do so until these resources exhaust).  So while I understand the point you are getting at, I would posit that the word “conservation” is as good as any in describing the intent to carefully and appropriately manage the allocation of resources.

mw