[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles - revised

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jul 12 13:34:19 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 7:58 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> We still have IPv6 and ASNs to worry about, and while both
> resource pools are GARGANTUAN by comparison, they are not infinite.

Hi David,

While not technically infinite, the 32 bit ASN pool is functionally
infinite. There is no foreseeable course of events which would exhaust
that pool. Ever.

> 1. Can everyone concede that going forward, conservation is much less
> important, but that the need for some concept of conservation doesn't
> completely go away either.

I'd like to, but no. This document applies it to "number resources"
not "addresses." Previous documents on the subject (e.g. RFC 2050)
correctly limited conservation statements to "addresses."

Also, conservation of IPv6 addresses moving forward is neither "much
less" important nor even "less" important. It's merely different.

We'd like to not burn through that free pool in the next decade or
two. It wasn't that long ago that some folks in this forum quite
seriously suggested allocating /16's and /15's to ISPs in support of
6rd efforts. Unlike the ASN pool, the IPv6 pool is not functionally
infinite.

Finally, IPv4 conservation beyond the free pool is moot. One cannot
conserve what has already been consumed. Redistribution, in whatever
form it takes, is not properly described as conservation.

> 3. Are there other concepts, principles, or goals that were missing?

Fairness and process integrity through transparency. Touched on it,
but if we're describing principles rather than goals it's more
centrally important.

>    0.2 Fair Distribution
>
>    The principle of Fair Distribution is the precept that the
>    fundamental purpose of Internet number resources management is to
>    distributed unique number resources in a fair and impartial manner
>    to entities building and operating networks, for benefit of all
>    Internet users equally, and thereby facilitating the growth and
>    sustainability of the Internet.

How does this statement square with the continued existence of two
very unequal classes of registrants?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004