[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles - revised

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Thu Jul 11 13:06:56 EDT 2013

On 7/11/13 9:26 AM, cb.list6 wrote:
> Who would benefit from hoarding?

Many.

> Hoarding seems like economic "dumping", there are rules and policies
> around it, but it has never really occured because the economics are
> wrong. The market ensures dumping does not occur.

Before embarking on a law and economics discourse it would be useful
if you could suggest you are capable of conducting it to a conclusion
consistent with your initial offerings, informed by and answering
adequately critical commentary.

> Or like the FUD about walmart driving local business out and then
> jacking up prices after competition is gone, its just fud. People made
> a big noise about it 20 years ago, not any more.

Could we not segway from a range of ints to some other subject.

> I think the market is only interestes in transactions. Ipv4 addresses
> are like most cars, they depreciate rapidly so hoarding is not a real
> thing.

Thought is nice, proof is better. There are numbers, they go the other
way.

> And, with google fiber at 77% ipv6 and vzw over 25%, i must say i
> would no hoard ipv4.

The relevance of your point of view may have local scope.

> But, my ask is, lets not assume hoarding or threats to ipv4 by bad
> actors unless there is a real case that applies.

Fine. A condition previously met.

> Afaik, arin brought transfers in to increase efficiency

Possibly, though efficiency in what is open to interpretation.

Eric